From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 21:08:44 EDT

A while back I asked the list:  What is in the coating of shellac or other
coating materials which is on the fruit and vegetables to keep it fresh?  I got
only a few responses.

One individual that stated that a shellac coating was made from beetles.  Yes,
that's right, beetles ???  I guess I would rather eat beetles than gluten or
soy.  I guess it is all in the priorities.

Another had this to say:  My experience with that is that apples are very often
coated with "food grade wax".  As you may know most waxes are/have been
determined to be carcinogenic although the great and fine FDA still allows them.

Perhaps we can keep checking, but the grocery department had no idea of the
origins.

Carol in NJ