From:
Mary Robison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 16:52:55 -0500

This is a great list.  I want to thank all who responded to my questions
yesterday.  I don't have time today to reply to all, so will just do a
brief summary

1)  There were mixed opinions about whether being wheat free for a week
would give a negative Ab test result or not.  Some said yes, some said
no, and one said that the test was 50/50 anyway.  It was just the way it
turned out that I was wheat free when the test was done.  A lot of events
cascaded in a short period of time.  In retrospect if I had
engineered it, it would have been better to have gotten to the
gasteroenterologist a lot sooner.

2)  I was enlightened by many that there is wheat in soy sauce.  Will
have to watch that.  I wish I had thought to say that my meal at
McDonalds was a real Big Mac attack. :-)

3)  Consensus is that sprue is the old name for celiac disease, but
others say that it's a term that refers to diarrhea.

Well, must run.  But not the way I used to =;-)

One more question- how important is it to stay gluten free?  My symptoms
were distressing but didn't seem life threatening.  What are the
consequences of the occasional Italian cookie?  Is the disease
progressive? In my case, it seemed to be gradually getting worse and worse...
Thanks again-

Mary R.