From:
Barb Natelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 06:52:02 EST

Thank-you for the informaion on the bone scan. Here is a summary of results. I
knew it was some sort of x-ray but was not sure about if it involved a GF
injection.

Response vaired from questions about the difference between a bone scan and a
Bone density to those stating there was an injection to those staing there was
no injection:

I suspect it is a type of x-ray, but how it is different I have no idea.  I
broke my leg in a gazillion pieces - then I was sent for a bone mineral
density test, which is a "scan" ...  it is a type of xray,

I had a bone scan in Nov. Actually, it is painless. I had one from the
top of my head to my toes. You lie on a table, They put a pillow under
your head and one under your knees. The scanner starts at your head and
slowly scans over your body to your feet. The procedure took an hor and
15 min. Then they took my hands,put it in a thing that looked like a big
drum and spread the fingers out. That part was over in two minutes. You
have to lie still, and they give you breaks.

About the Bone Scan..I am A nuclear Medicine technologist and bone scans are
what i do. If a nuclear medicine bone scan is what you are going to have i
will explain the procedure to you. First you will go in and get an injection
of a radioisotope , this is a small amount of a radioactive pharmaceutical
that will act like calicum and be taken out of the blood stream into the
bones. There are no side effects to this medication and you will be able to do
anything you normally would do. They will have you come back in 2-4 hours and
have the scan. You will just lie down and a nuclear medicine camera will look
at your bones much like a geiger counter does by reading the amount of the
radioisotope in your bones. The camera then transfers this information to a
computer and the computer makes the picture. There are no x-rays involved..you
are slightly radioactive and the camera picks that up. If you drink plenty of
fluids and keep your bladder empty the radioisotope will be gone by the next
day.
It is really a simple procedure with minimal discomfort(mainly from having to
be stuck).

I've had several bone scans in conjunction with osteoporosis and once
with a broken foot.  You simply lie on a table, the radiologist
positions you  and then a bar with a camera-like thing moves over the
area being scanned while the radiologist controls the whole operation
from a computer beside you.  Its one of the simplest diagnostic tests
I've ever had...drink nothing, no injections, no prep, just show up!

http://www.aceology.com/med/xray/scan.htm
Radionuclide Scanning
This is a study where radioactive tracers are injected into the blood
stream and then using cameras the amount of gamma rays coming from these
radioactive tracers is then collected and analyzed. This study is done
to look at activity in a particular organ. It is not to look at the
anatomy of that organ.

http://www.radiologyconsultants.com/pages/s_bone.html
A small amount of radioactive material is injected into a vein in your
arm. At this time, several pictures may be taken by placing you close to
a special detector called a gamma camera. Pictures are retaken three
hours after the injection.

A bone scan is done by injecting a small dose of a radioactive tracer into
the blood which localizes in the bones where there are active sites of
repair or regeneration such as a recent fracture. The image is captured by a
gama camera which "reads" the radioactivity. Areas of localization show up
as "hot spots" on a film. So it is like an x-ray because it uses ionizing
radiation but the source of the radiation with in the person rather than
being from an external x-ray source. Like any test which uses ionizing
radation (x-rays, beta rays) it caries a very small risk of radation damage.