From:
Pixilated <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:21:13 -0700

Hi Friends,
        I would like to thank everyone for their kind response to my
question regarding a safe BB in So. California.  I really appreciate your
help.

PLACES TO STAY:

loveliest bed & breakfast!  I wanted to share this, for those others on the
list who also enjoy bed and breakfasts.
        It wasn't GF, but for me.... it was second best.  It's called  "The
Cottage"  (in the Hillcrest area) and is a quaint little one bedroom (yes)
cottage with a wood burning stove and pump organ...but best of all, it has
a complete full (little) kitchen.  My hubby could have the wonderful
breakfast which was served and I had a little kitchen available to make my
own treats.  (It was nice to know that I could also cook dinner in, if I
wanted.)  Not only that, but a Whole Foods Market is located right in the
neighborhood, which made it easy to stock up on my GF supplies! In addition
to it being a darling little place (near a health food market),  we also
received beautiful fresh cut  flowers and the morning newspapers!
        As coincidence has it, the hostess also has a friend who is a
Celiac!  It's always nice to meet someone who knows what you're talking
about!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Monterey area but actually stayed in Soquel at the Apple Lane B&B.  They
are a small establishment but had a great cook at that time who prepared a
delicious gf breakfast for me.  He is an ex marine (can't remember his
name) and loves to cook.  If you call, check to see if he is still there.
Aside from the food it was an average B&B.  There is a great Thai
restaurant just across and down the street from the aquarium in Monterey,
we ate there twice an loved it.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

(the above is actually in Northern CA.  But sounds lovely, and I DO like
Thai food!!!)

HERE ARE SOME SUGGESTIONS ON HOW HANDLE GETTING A GF MEAL SUCCESSFULLY:

cassarole recipe and a list of necessary items, such as rice flour, which
she purchased.  It was a small B&B with one seating each morning.  The main
dish was gluten free.  When she served waffles, she scrambled eggs for me.
And my husband got to enjoy all the regular stuff.

I brought my own bread which she toasted on foil (no glutenized crumbs).  It
was easy and pleasant for both of us and not a big deal was made by anyone.
She sent me home with the gf items she had purchased.<<<<<<<<

always stay at bed and breakfasts when travelling including South Africa
where we toured for three weeks staying only in B&B's.
When booking our reservations, I faxed a letter to the owners of each
explaining my situation and providing them with DETAILS of what I could
eat for breakfast. They ALL bent over backwards to present me with
delicious, beautifully presented food that I could eat. <<<<<<<<<<<

Again, thank you for your help and suggestions.... now all I have to do is
get well enough to go!        ;-\

Lynda Swink
                           ..
\|/ [log in to unmask]  \|/ \|/ So.CA \|/ _@V