From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:17:21 -0800

     Okay, it's official. EVERYBODY wants to go ahead with an informal
list of celiac-friendly places in NYC. Celiacs wrote from Australia,
England, Kansas, California, Canada, etc (not to mention Connecticut
and New Jersey - lots from these states) to demand that said list
should be posted on the list so it can go into the archives. They
pointed out that inasmuch as New York is the center of world, celiacs
from all over the country and the globe come here for vacations,
business trips, or just shopping.
     Some of you have already sent in some entries. Please remember,
that the more information you can provide the better. For example:
     - Give addresses whenever possible. Is the restaurant cheap,
moderate, expensive, stratospheric? Do you have to mention that you're
a celiac when you make a reservation? Any special dishes you can
especially recommend as GF or firmly condemn as not GF? - I've yet to
find a totally GF menu, and some items can be GF at some places and
emphatically poisonous to us at others. Any other comments you think
would be useful to fellow celiacs should be included.
     - About health food stores and other places- what GF items should
we look for? If you can, say something about prices or special
discounts - some give discounts to senior citizens or to those with
student ID's.
     - Don't limit yourselves to stores and resturants. If you know of
a celiac-friendly drugstore, ethnic markets where we can get those
exotic flours, or anything else in NYC you think might be of interest
to a fellow celiac- and that includes all the five boroughs - send it
in.
     - I will summarize as soon as possible. A couple of people have
messaged me to say they are travelling to NYC this weekend. I will
send them a very preliminary list on Thursday.
     I look forward to hearing from you all. Mary in NYC, center of
the universe.