From:
"Melissa C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 23:59:15 +0000

Hi,

This is my first post, so I hope I don't stumble too much.  I'm a new
listmember, and joined primarily because of my baby girl.  She is 8
months old.

History:
Began nursing at birth.  She lost weight, ate well, but still
wouldn't gain weight.  After 1 1/2 weeks pediatrician recommended
supplementing with formula.  She wouldn't take it.  Not a sip!  But
at 3 weeks, she was gaining, and healthy.

At about 4 weeks, she began throwing up.  What they call projectile
vomiting.  Very forceful.  And always within 5 minutes of eating.
Through personal research, I stopped taking dairy.  She got better.

At 5 weeks vomiting began again.  And, after a week of trying to
figure it out, I was upset and stressed (pediatrician didn't really
seem concerned)  I stopped nursing.  It was very hard on me,
nursing was important, but I saw myself as cruel to be selfish
when she was sick.  She began soy formula, and no more vomiting.  The
doc did an upper GI just to be sure, and said everything was normal.

Now, after many months, I have noticed that wheat containing items,
(once a few bites of cake, twice teething biscuits, etc.)  make her
vomit.  When she does get sick, I have to give her pedialyte, for at
least 1/2 a day, then 1/2 strength formula for the same amount of
time, then full strength, then back to eating solids.

She is healthy in every other respect, (a bouncing 20 pounds!)
except that she has always had a constipation problem (since she
started soy formula)  What I would like to know, is if this could be
CD, or just an intolerance?  She had problems off and on for a week
with oatmeal, until I realized it was the oatmeal, and not stomach
flu.  I have challenged with oatmeal twice since, and no vomiting,
but this last time she got congested the next day.  (Came down with
ear infections, so this may have been the problem)  Waiting til she's
well to try barley.

Sorry to be so long, but thought history would help.  I would
appreciate any direction or advice you all could give me.  I have
already learned so much!!  (Considering going on my own GF diet, have
been on "Yeast Connection" diet before I got pregnant and went food
crazy!)

Much thanks in advance!
Melissa & Mary Elizabeth