From:
Mary Anne Cripe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:59:04 -0500

I have a question that I hope someone can answer; it may need to be a
doctor.  My gastroenterologist could not answer this; he said I knew more
about celiac disease than he did.

I'll try to make this as brief as possible.  I was diagnosed the end of
September because of osteoporosis.  I was also anemic and hypothyroid
because of the malabsorption.  However, I wasn't even aware that I was
sick; my internist just happened to ask if I had ever had a bone density
test when I went for a physical. I didn't feel that bad, and yet the biopsy
showed no villi, the small intestine crusted over, and nodules.  I knew I
was lactose intolerant, but I continued to eat ice cream so, of course, did
have some distention. And, now that I know the symtoms I did have other
symptoms, too, (bloating, hip pain, persistent skin and scalp rashes for
years, leg cramps--but no pain or diarrhea)  I have off and on had problems
keeping weight on, but I did not have any drastic weight loss.

I mistakenly got some gluten last week--I ate a half a bowl of soup before
I realized it had wheat flour in it.  The rest of the day I tried to be
real aware of any reaction--and I had none.  So, my question is--if I don't
have any reaction, does that mean I'm not getting any damage, OR does that
mean I could be getting damage without knowing it because I have no obvious
reaction?

This group has been so helpful to me, and I enjoy reading the posts and
summaries.

Mary Anne

Mary Anne Cripe
State University of West Georgia