From:
"Robert A. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 10:21:37 -0400

I am a self-diagnosed celiac who has been gluten-free for almost 25
years.  As I never had a problem with underweight and eat a healthy
diet, I am just now beginning to appreciate the malabsorption aspect of
celiac disease.  I have osteoporosis and had night blindness until I
happened to order the "wrong" multiple vitamin and inadvertently
increased my intake of Vitamin A.  I was having a terrible problem with
feelings of faintness because of skipped heart beats (PACs) and no
doctor could find a cause.  I began taking B6 and B12 because of
messages on this list which said they would help with energy.  They did
that (some) but sure cured the PACs.  So I am convinced about the
malabsorption and am taking lots of vitamins.

The only doctor who has helped me at all doesn't even believe in celiac
disease (!).  She will give me tests for vitamin deficiencies but wants
me to stop taking all vitamins for 2 weeks. (Probably Greater Smokies
lab.) I tried once to go without and got sick immediately.  Besides, I
know I'm deficient.  I'm more interested in whether I am taking (or
absorbing) too much or not enough rather than a base line of deficiency.

Can the blood and urine tests through Greater Smokies be interpreted
when one is already taking vitamins?  Is there some other, more
accurate, way to test?  I don't want to take too much of any vitamin but
feel there may still be deficiences that need to be corrected.

Any information would be appreciated.  And I will summarize and post to
the list.

Sue Brown
Columbia, MD