From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 13:44:12 EDT

replied:

>With regard to your instructions to a chef, you might want to correct your
>instructions as millet, quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat are gluten free.

Jane, personally I wholeheartedly agree with you.  However, many of
subscribers may be members of CSA/USA which recommends to their members that
they avoid all of the above grains as "untested" or "causes adverse reactions
to some celiacs".  Thus, this is a controversial topic.

For those of you who would like to do more reading on this subject, send an
email to [log in to unmask] with the body

GET CELIAC ISSUES
GET CELIAC GRAINS

This includes a long and detailed letter from Don Kasarda on this topic, plus
emails from others.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles