From:
Ellen Eagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 18:43:59 -0800

Joanne,
        I have a recipe for gingersnap cookies in a gluten-free cookbook
that is very close to your recipe. So I would guess that using the Bette
Hagman mixture in equal amounts for the wheat flour should work fine. I
would add xanthan gum to help hold it together. The container I have of
xanthan gum says that you should add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp for every cup of
flour. When I convert recipes to a GF version, I always add the maximum
amount. So with your recipe I would add 1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum. A lot of
times using the gluten free flours make the batter or dough very dense.
So sometimes I add plain yogurt to add some moisture. Others say that
applesauce can also do this. Don't be afraid to experiment. It isn't that
difficult to change gluten recipes into gluten free ones, as long as you
are willing to accept something that may not be just like the gluten
version. But it will be good for your health.
        Ellen