From:
Jax Lowell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jax Lowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2012 15:29:28 -0400

Hello Everyone,

	As I walk through Independence Square and past Betsy Ross House, I am reminded of how many of my fellow celiacs may be visiting my lovely city about now.

	Three MUST-STOPS on the gluten-free trail.  One is Pure Fare on 19th just off Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood.  This is heaven for us!
	Tender blueberry and strawberry muffins, sandwiches made with Tote bread (more about that next), pineapple upside down cake, quiche.  Everything is gluten-free
	and pure and baked fresh every day and labeled with calorie count.

	Tote is a tote-ally gluten-free bakery in the Italian market neighborhood.  Go to 9th and Christian and walk south on 9th street, past Molly's bookstore, and Fante's and all the Italian cheese stores,
	almost to Washington Avenue, but not quite.  Here you will find dense and crusty breads made every day (go early before looking at the other stores) -- Teff, Quinoa, pecan and raisin sandwich bread.
	They supply Pure Fare and other sandwich shops around the city, including one right across the street from them that makes sandwiches which could feed a family of four.

	For a wonderful dinner -- Giorgio's on Pine -- Pine Street just East of Broad Street.  Gluten-free pasta, pizza, penne and Italian bread from Tote!

	I have been gluten-free for a long, long time and this is as good as it gets.  I have no business interest in these great places; I'm just lucky to live within walking distance of them.

	Happy Traveling!

	Jax  Lowell

	Jax Peters Lowell is the author of Against The Grain and The Gluten-Free Bible (Henry Holt),
      the illustrated children's book, No More Cupcakes & Tummy Aches, and Mothers, a novel.
      She is a frequent contributor to Living Without Magazine.