From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:55:42 EDT

2009 - 8th Annual Community Awareness Event - Friday & Saturday,  November
6th & 7th, 2009

Topic "Did Caveman Eat Wheat? The Evolution of the Human  Diet"
Hosted by Bellingham Gluten Intolerance Group of Whatcom County,  Washington
Friday & Saturday, November 6th & 7th, 2009
St. Luke's  Health Education Center, 3333 Squalicum Pkwy., Bellingham, WA
Admission:  FREE
Contact Information: Kelle A. Rankin-Sunter 360-223-7437

BGIG is ten years old this year! It is hard to believe we have been helping
 to support those with celiac disease and gluten intolerance and advocating
for  awareness and education for over a decade! It is with great pleasure
that we  are, once again, holding our annual Community Awareness Event (CAE).

Friday, Nov. 6th (from 9 am to 4:30 pm) We will offer a series of
presentations throughout the day by well-known health care practitioners in our
community. Some of our titles include: Gluten Free 101, Vitamin Supplementation
 on a GF Diet; Menu Planning with Alternative Grains; How do I know if I
have a  problem with Gluten and What is GSE? Bring a sack lunch and spend the
day!

Saturday, Nov. 7th (10 am to 3:30 pm) THIS is the "big day". Dr. Joan
Stevenson from Western Washington University (WWU) will present "Did Caveman Eat
 Wheat? The Evolution of the Human Diet" at 11 am. Dr. Stevenson has been a
 professor at WWU anthropology department for over thirty years. Her area
of  expertise is biological and medical anthropology with a particular focus
on  population genetics and diet relative to immune system development. Dr.
Stevenson is a published author and highly respected for her work. She
serves as  an adviser for students going on in applied health careers, and on
Western's  Human Subjects Review Board. In addition, she serves as the
Associate Editor of  the American Journal of Physical Anthropology, Book Review
Editor of the  American Journal of Human Biology, and on the program committee
of American  Association of Physical Anthropology meetings in 2009 and
upcoming 2010.
This  will be a fascinating presentation, highlighting how quickly our
world, even our  hygiene, has changed and how our physical bodies have struggled
to keep up with  those changes.

Other activities during the day include local stores and restaurants with
sampling tables, manufacturers' GF samples, gluten free book sale, silent
auction and a BGIG reference table. Our healthcare resource area will include
 information from St. Joseph's Hospital Dietary Dept., Diabetes Wellness,
SharedCarePlan.org, various healthcare practitioners from our community and
our  Healthy Kids Eating Gluten-Free coordinator. We encourage you to bring
your  questions regarding healthy gluten free living.
The afternoon will feature a  panel discussion with health-care individuals
who serve on our board, Tom  Malterre of Whole Life Nutrition and Dr. Jean
Layton of Natural Health  Bellingham and student and teen representative
from the Healthy Kids Eating  Gluten Free Children?s group, Andrew Ibach. A
question and answer period  follows.

This event is focused primarily for the general public in an effort to
increase awareness for this very serious condition. Last year our CAE was
attended by over 350 individuals. With a rate of over 95% of persons with celiac
 disease still undiagnosed, we hope more people can get healthy by learning
about  this condition. It is estimated that 1 in 133 persons suffer from
celiac  disease.

The Bellingham Gluten Intolerance Group serves the NW corner of the state
of Washington including Whatcom, Skagit and Island Counties as well as
individuals from British Columbia. BGIG offers support, recipes, information and
 networking for those experiencing reactions of any sort to wheat, rye and
barley, and in addition, to people who care for these individuals. We
welcome  everyone to attend our meetings and events. You do not have to be a
member to  join us.

For more information on Celiac Disease/Dermatitis Herpetiformis and Gluten
Intolerance:
National Institute of Health -
_http://www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/index.htm_
(http://www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/index.htm)