From:
Melissa Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:50:50 -0500

I just returned from a 5 day trip to Disney with my family.  I was diagnosed
with celiac 5 years ago and have not had a "real" vacation since my
diagnosis. I've had long weekends close to home where I have found it very
difficult to eat.  I was very nervous about my long trip, but luckily, there
was no need for me to be nervous at all.  Disney bends over backwards for
people with food allergies and intolerances.  Any time I mentioned that I
had a "food allergy" the waiter said that they would send the chef out right
away.  I ate at: Artists Point, Contemporary, Cinderella's Table, and
Victoria and Alberts.  I had read in the past that Cinderella's table was a
problem, but it was not this time for us.  We warned Victoria and Alberts
ahead of time about my food issues, but we didn't inform any other
restaurant.  (Make sure if you go to Victoria and Alberts that you do tell
them ahead of time because they prepare a special menu for you.)  They were
all able to accommodate me on the spot and the food was delicious.  All the
restaurants keep gluten free items available.  I even had gluten free/ dairy
free waffles at my hotel.  (I also have a problem with dairy, but that was
no problem for Disney either.)  The Wilderness Hotel was also wonderful when
I called down for room service, they put the chef on right away and we
discussed my needs.  They made no mistakes in avoiding the foods to which I
am intolerant.  I was even able to eat in the park.  The counter service in
Wild Kingdom had a list of ingredients of all of their food and I've read
that all of the counters are the same way.   I found this site wonderful for
information before my trip http://www.allearsnet.com/din/dining.htm .  I
also carried gf crackers and nuts with me just to be sure and that worked
out well.  I highly recommend a Disney vacation for Celiacs.  Have a great
time and don't worry!