From:
Eleanor Muise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eleanor Muise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:17:48 -0400

Bear with me ... this is the start to what promises to be a frenzied family
vacation! I've got a great sense of humor about all these food issues I have
(celiac + leaky gut -> no dairy, soy, corn, sugar, orange, or tomato) ...
but right now I feel like I'm about to lose it!

On two hours of sleep ... wake up at 4am to leave for the airport
Flight from Boston to Phoenix, connect for flight to Honolulu ... more than
12 hours later arrive in Honolulu

Usually I'm very well organized about adventures like this ... but to give
you the short version, my mom said she had everything packed, and since I
was working late (very late!) the night before I didn't double check
everything = BIG MISTAKE!

So all day I've eaten some rice bars, an apple, some carrots ... and I'm
starving but I want some substantial food, no more pick eats.
I suggest we find a restaurant on the drive back to the house we've rented
because I'm about to double over I'm so hungry. But no, it would be better
to go to the house, unpack, get organized, talk about who is sleeping where,
and then find something ... because everyone else would be hungry in 2
hours. Great. Then my mom gets set on the idea to get what feels like dinner
but looks like lunch at a deli. What can I eat at a deli?! Its a crumb
breeding ground!! It gets even better, because the deli is part of a larger
grocery store, so I can drag myself around an unfamiliar store to check out
unfamiliar brands while I'm starving! The rest of the family gets irritated
with my food issues, and decides to go across the street to get their dinner
- and what do they come back with? Pizza! The one remaining emotional thread
I have to my former life as a foodie.

Is this the way "vacations" go when you've got stuff like what we've got?
Somehow I didn't think it would be this bad! I feel so comfortable with my
home base, brands I know, restaurants I frequent ... many options and few
restrictions. I'm so out of my element!

Send Help! =(

El  ... displaced from Boston ... currently in Hawaii