From:
Melissa Pittman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Pittman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:12:03 -0400

Here I am once again needing your help and guidance.
Here is my son's background:
IgA deficient
elevated IgG
Negative biopsy although elevated levels of lymphocytes were detected
has suffered from eczema since birth and now has none since GF
With my Gastros approval I did a 6 week trial of GF diet with good results.  We went from 5-10 BM's a day to 1 within a week.  We have now been GF for approx. six months.

We have done everything we know possible to eliminate gluten from his diet but he is still having diarrhea for 2-3 day periods a couple times a month, sometimes more.  Some of you may remember my question about the Gluten kitchen from a few days ago.

We recently had his 6 month check up.  I told them to test for the genetic panel through Prometheus Labs.  My gastro let me know that 10% of celiacs are negative for these (DQ2 and DQ8)

Well my son's blood work came back today.  He was negative for the genes.  He was mildly anemic.

These results paired with his other serology, biopsy and continued symptoms raise alot of questions for me.

1.  What is my next step?  Should I send all of his info to Dr. Fasano in Maryland?  Does anyone have this information handy?

2.  Could my son be suffering from some other problem that we are overlooking because we are thinking it's Celiac?

3.  Is it possible that my son has nothing wrong with him, this is his bowel pattern and I should just drop it?  (This is question arrived at mostly through exasperation, not true belief)

4.  Proceed as I have considering the diet has at least improved his bowels and skin?

5.  Should I pursue other avenues of testing?  Rectal scope?  Possible Crohn's Disease?

6.  Combination of above?

If you have advice, suggestions, experience, personal story, or information that you believe would be of use to me and my situation please respond at your earliest convenience.  Your kind and supportive guidance is always appreciated and needed.

Sincerely,

Melissa Pittman