From:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:52:36 -0500

Hello Everyone,

Thank you to all who took the time to reply to my inquiry
if there are any reliable labs in NE Ohio.  While many of
your suggestions were helpful, there doesn't seem be a
lab in my area.

After my post, I was contacted by Stanford U. in CA.  If
you have 2 officially-diagnosed celiacs in your immediate
family and you want a screening, the University will do it
for free.  In my case, it is only my father who has the official
"CD" stamp, so I didn't qualify.  If you think you would
qualify, you may contact Linda Steele at [log in to unmask]

Dawn wrote to tell me that IMMCO lab in Buffalo, NY, is
one of the best in the country.  This lab is recommended by
Dr. Peter Green.  The website  for the lab is
http://immcodiagnostics.com/index.html

Diane Paley from CSA wrote to tell me that the CSA org.
will look into reliable labs throughout the country.

I thank all of the above people for their input.

Then, of course, there were those who wrote to admonish
me for even considering the expense when health was the
issue.  I would like to address this.

I have contacted the U. of Maryland.  I am going to be
sending our samples there and my doctor has already
contact the university for specifics.  Both my daughter and
I need to be tested.  That involves the doctors' bills, the lab
where the blood will be drawn, the shipping costs (which
are substantial because the samples must be shipped overnight,
packed in dry ice), and the $205.00 per person that the
University of Maryland charges.  I am sure our total bill will be
over $500.  I have checked with our insurance, and the only
cost which will be partially covered is the doctor.  I am fully
aware of the need for the tests.  The only motive I had for my
original post was to ascertain if there was a local lab that was
reliable so the out-of-pocket expense would be less.

Connie