From:
Debbie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:33:53 -0700

Thanks to all who responded. The jury is definitely still out on this diet! The general feeling of this list is: that CSA is outdated and the site to go to is definitely www.celiac.com for the most current info. Guar gum IS GF, but can act like a laxative if taken in large amounts by some people. Rice syrups used to all be processed with barley, but now most are not. If a label on a food says GF and an ingredient is rice syrup, then it was not processed with barley. If GF is not stated on something that has rice syrup, call the manufacturer about the process used.  So many of you expressed the same confusion as I, since there just doesn't seem to be a general diet that we can go by. This seems to be because Celiacs (and the general population, for that matter) react to other non-gluten containing foods. But, if a Celiac has a reaction, the first thought is "hidden" gluten. It was suggested that all Celiacs should get the magazine "Gluten Free Living" for the most updated info. A lot of different health food stores have the magazine. If anyone wants to post an address or email to subscribe, I'm sure many on the list would be grateful. Many responses suggested that I start with a very basic diet and add foods a little at a time to see if I react. I've been trying to do the diet for nearly two years and already went through the basics stage but, alas, I am back to it again. I had no reactions to signal that I'd unknowingly gotten a problem food, in fact since going GF I've had no stomach trouble (for the first time in 40 years!) and my 25 year long relationship with GERD has disappeared. It's the other symptoms (outside intestinal) that have not all gone away, and then of course there is that tTG that came back at 133 that says I am still getting gluten somewhere. I've had the gut permeability test - it was negative, all vitamin/mineral levels are normal, no more anemia, had a slight intestinal yeast overgrowth that has been treated and my doctor will not do any further testing for a possible additional diagnosis until my tTG is normal. So for those of you who suggested I needed to "relax", that's why I am going bonkers trying to find my gluten source and getting so frustrated at the conflicting info out there. Anyway, I'm sure that this is more info then any of you wanted, so I will just end this summary by saying to all of you who shared my frustration, I hope some of this helps clear up a little of the confusion. My best to all ... thanks again for all of your responses.    Debbie/AZ