From:
Bev Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:27:28 -0500

Hi listies,

Here is a summary of the responses I got about the gf survival kit.

Most people said it was a good idea although one person said we were
much too paranoid.  Someone said that if you live in California or the
midwest you might have one already in case of earthquake or tornado.

Some additional suggestions I received were:  Put a real fork, knife and
spoon in it for each person in your family, as plastic usually breaks.

A can of cashews are good for protein and fat.  Of course, this is true
only if you are not allergic to tree nuts.

Put everything in a backpack in case you have to evacuate to make it
easier to carry.  Also, extra car keys, water bottles, rope, and
flashlights.  A can opener, pencils/pens, papers, envelopes, stamps,
cash, towels, washclothes, warm clothes, boots, blankets, a medic alert
bracelet on the celiac for identification in case you get separated or
in case the person is unconscious.  Someone said that in case of
emergency, carrying around a lot of water is too heavy so they said to
check out water purification tablets that you get at a camping goods
store.  I haven't done this, but if someone has, please post the
results.

I also got this e-mail about someone who makes up these kits.  I thought
I would pass the info along to you.  It would be a lot cheaper to do it
yourself and also, you could make sure everything in it was gluten free.
 Also, it was suggested that you check expiration dates on food and
medicine often and change out the expired items.  Here is her info:

"Hi my name is Pam, My company is Preparedness Depot I sell survival and
preparedness supplies.  I also have a 3 day supply of food for 3 meals
it is very helpful for us who are GF.  I have not found a GF survival
emergency food bar, but I am working on it.  Email me if you need any
other supplies.  I am a distributor for Quake Kare, you can look on
their web site, but my prices are cheaper.  www.quakekare.com".

I hope that I never have to use my kit, but it makes me feel better just
knowing there is something I can do for my family.  Peace and blessings
to all.

Warmly,

Bev Wahl