VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 15:31:45 -0400
I suppose most people who use screen readers have gotten used to the
subtleties of their systems. For instance, I can tell the difference
between a comma and a period because of the slightly longer pause after
the period.

I can't however, tell when there is a new paragraph.. When I press ALT R,
the reader goes from the last sentence in one paragraph to the first of
the next with the same delay as if there were no new paragraph.

I suspect that if I were to listen to the cassettes that came with the
program, I would find how to create that longer delay, or maybe how to
have it making a clicking sound to indicate a new paragraph. But maybe the
information isn't in those cassettes and I will spend a lot of time
getting frustrated and searching. So, I usually don't bother and just
don't make the change.

Is this laziness? Do other people on this list doe the same thing, that
is, you want to make a small change, but the hassle of making the change
deters you?

Anyway, my solution is to ask miscellaneous questions to this list, as the
problems come up.

Firstly, can somebody here tell me how to program Vocal eyes to pause when
it reads two hard returns, with and without a period. For some purposes, I
want to define a paragraph break regardless of the presence of a period.

Secondly, and maybe this is related, how do I change the pronunciation of
individual words in vocal Eyes. It currently reads Jesus as, "hey, Zeus,"
as if I'm summoning the Greek God. Christ is also pronounced to rhyme with
grist.

Thirdly, does anybody know how to search for a hard return or a tab in
word perfect 6.1. In version 5.1, I simply pressed F2 and then the return
button or the tab button. With 6.1, thos keys bring me to a menu choice. I
haven't been able to figure out how to enter the hard return code after
pressing F2.

I just got an idea. Perhaps if I delete a hard return code, I can undelete
it when I'm asked what to search for, but maybe that won't work.

If somebody knows an easy way, please let me know as soon as possible for
this third one. I have to fix a document by tomorrow. Thank you.

 Peter Seymour