VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steven Whatley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Whatley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:27:06 -0500
On Wed, 29 May 2002, Megan McHugh wrote:
> I am looking for an alternative keystroke to use
> to access the Windows desktop.  I know that using
> the Windows key plus M or Windows plus D can be
> used.  However, I think there is supposed to be
> another way to access the desktop, using the Ctrl
> or Alt keys.  I just cannot remember what it is.

Yes there is.  You can assign a hotkey to desktop shortcuts.  If you have
an icon on your desktop, then right click on the icon and select
Properties.  Click on the field next tot he "Shortcut Key" label.  Then
use the ctrl + alt + whatever key to assign the key stroke to that key.

Be very careful to not assign the same key sequence to more than one
shortcut.  If you do then neither will work.  Also if you assign a key tot
he keypad then the keystroke will only work if the NumLock key is in the
same state as when the hotkey was created.

If you prefer to not clutter your desktop with icons then you can goto
Start then Programs then go to the menu item you want to launch.  At ths
point place the cursor over the item you want to run.  Right click (not
the normal left click) and select properties.  Add your hotkey just like
it was stated above.

Another option is to get a new keyboard like the Logitech Navigator which
has 10 special keys (5 on each side), media keys, and a special scroll
wheel.  I've got my favorite programs asigned to the keys.  Also it is
nice to press a button on the keyboard for Play, Stop, or Mute without
have to move the mouse and click on the Windows Media Player buttons.

I hope this helps,
Steven