VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:39:05 -0400
Amen, Catherine!

This kinds of things costs millions upon of millions both for government
agencies, say nothing of corporations.
At times, these kinds of things may be necessary; but, as Bill outlines
what and what doesn't work, Google doesn't fall into, at this time, a
situation where I see government as unnecessary.
If we are to be responsible citizens, we have to see where spending
litigation dollars makes sense and where it is being done for pr, to
alleviate inconvenience, and where work arounds are not available.
This is the kind of stuff that has to stop else
we, as responsible citizens, run the risk of jeopardizing future
situations where real intervention may be necessary.

We are now moving into a new era and no longer can, as a society, afford
llitigation, at public expense, when other alternatives
can resolve matters, if even they need resolving.

If the NFB had to put up its own funds to finance these battles, I suspect
that they would be far more prudent in picking their battles.  Rather,
they want to go to the public watering hole and us taxpayers to sit idly
by and say that this is ok.

Remember, legislation on the books, upon which these actions rely on, can
be repealed or modified.  If these laws, initially approved under good
faith, get abused, taxpayers will insist that Congress reconsider matters.
So it is imperative given the gross government overspending that these
long-fought-for lwas are treated with respect and not as clubs raised at
the slightest provocation, even if their letter suggests that they can be
used.

Just because you have the law supposedly on your side, at the expense of
taxpayers I might add, doesn't mean that it has to be the first sought for
remedy.  It should only be the tool of last resort when everything fails
and truly for unequivocally important situations.  Stuff like this will
raise the ire of people seeking them to contact their representatives in
government  to stop the financing of what will be used as abuse.

Remember, these laws hit the books during a time of prosperity; and
clearly, we are not in that right now.  You wish to see these valuable
laws remain around, treat them with respect and only seek their use under
truly necessary situations -- not something lso simplistic as this which
even this small group cannot reach a concensus as to whether this a mere
inconvenience or a true problem with no alternatives.

faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who
comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek
Him.
--Hebrews 11:1,6 (NASB)

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]