VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2010 05:23:26 -0400
Lisa

Welcome to the frustrating world of sites highly done in flash.
Currently, neither JFW or WE seem to do well with these sites.

As to your comment, Tom, while a site as this frustrates me, I would
hardly hold contempt for the developer as seriously doubt he or she
intentionally wished to frustrate any user.  It just happens that flash is
growing in use, and the developer chooses to use it, therefore.  The real
challenge here falls upon the screen reader manufacturers to figure this
one out and come up with a product that can successfully deal with it.
I am sure that they are trying and, so far, at least have not come up with
anything to successfully handle this.
Once a manufacturer does solve this, I can almost guarantee that they will
have many consumers using their product.

Yes, this too frustrates me as there are sites I would like to regularly
visit that makes it difficult or impossible to use.  But I don't consider
owner, developer, or maintainer of that site as intentionally wished to
make life difficult for a blind user.  Unless that individual regularly
deals with screen reader users, how would they know that they were causing
problem.  They are using a website development technique that is
increasingly popular and effective; so why not take advantage of it.
Our difficulty is an unintentional consequence that they never imagined as
a normal individual hardly thinks of blind people as they seldom come up
with this issue in their lives.

If anything, at this point, I am more frustrated with GWMicro, Freedom
Scientific, et al in not being able to crap this nut which has now been
around for quite a while.  If they don't, and someone else does, that
company will have many users knocking at their door.
And I would be one of them.

If you are to have peace with God, there must be war with Satan.
Charles H. Spurgeon, 19th Century British evangelist

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]