VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:53:04 -0600
¶   MANCHESTER, S.D. (AP) _ You can't buy gas or groceries in Manchester.

There's no mayor or city council. And if you're just aching for a Big Mac,
keep on truckin'.
¶   But if you're in the market for software that makes computers more
accessible to the blind, well, that's a different story.
¶   A wide spot off U.S. Highway 14 in rural eastern South Dakota may
seem
an unlikely spot for a company that markets computer products to hundreds
of folks from Malta to Manitoba. But nobody bothered to mention that to
Vernon Ferguson and his wife, Pat.
¶   Manchester-based Ferguson Enterprises recently released the latest
version of SCANACAN, a software program designed to let the blind hear
information on tens of thousands of items that have bar codes.
¶   A scanner reads the code and a synthesized voice provides information

the user requests _ a simple description of the product or, in the case of
food, how to prepare it.
¶   Pat demonstrates with a bottle.
¶   "Antacid chew tabs," a speaker attached to the computer coolly
enunciates.
¶   "Cream chick," it says when she waves a can in front of the scanner's

glowing red eye. The voice then spells out the directions to fix a hot bowl

of soup.
¶   Pat, who is blind, said the program helps her keep track of her stock

of groceries. After she uses an item, she tells the computer she has one
fewer of that particular item on hand. That also helps when it comes time
to make a grocery list, because it means she does not have to rack her
brain trying to remember whether she fixed corn or beans for dinner a week
ago.
¶   "Computers have made a world of difference in our accessibility
today,"
Pat said.
¶   The first version of the program, released earlier this year, had a
database with bar codes for about 30,000 grocery store items. A supermarket

chain provided the codes to the Fergusons at no cost, and Vernon used a
conversion program to enter them so that each code did not have to be
entered manually.
¶   The latest version _ SCANACAN Plus _ has that database and allows
customers to create more databases. It holds up to 2 billion bar codes,
though that number may be limited by the memory available on the computer,
Vernon said. The idea is to let customers catalog a variety of household
items _ anything with a bar code.
¶   "SCANACAN is a home management system," Pat said.
¶   Alburnie Wright, of Morrisville, Pa., uses the software to label
compact discs, making his work as a disc jockey easier. That way there's no

chance he will play Barbra Streisand's "Evergreen" when he meant to play
Stevie Wonder's "Superstition."
¶   Wright also uses the program to label his clothes. He sews on a bar
code that has not been assigned to a product yet and inputs a description
of the article of clothing, including its color. Then when it's time to get

dressed, he can avoid mixing pinstripes and paisleys.
¶   The blind can use Braille coding for the same purpose, but Wright
says
that's far more cumbersome. SCANACAN also can benefit newly blind people
who are not fluent in Braille or people whose fingers have lost the
sensitivity needed to read Braille, he said.
¶   The program has done wonders for him in the month since he bought it,

Wright said.
¶   "It's totally changed my whole life," he said. "You can use it for so

much."
¶   He predicts it will become standard equipment for the blind.
¶   For now, customers must manually enter descriptions of products whose

codes are not already in the program. But the Fergusons are seeking
databases from more manufacturers to expand the software's usefulness.
¶   "We're always trying to get more databases," Pat said. "We're not
going
to charge for the databases as long as we're not charged for them."
¶   The Fergusons rely on catalog and Internet sales for the bulk of
their
business. That's probably for the best because the population of Manchester

is 10 people, plus assorted coyotes, deer, jackrabbits and other critters.
¶   "We don't get in each other's way, that's for sure," Vernon said.
¶   Neither he nor Pat claims Manchester is South Dakota's answer to
Silicon Valley. Then again, they have had their taste of West Coast living
and are glad to be enjoying peace and quiet again.
¶   Vernon, a native of Manchester, met his wife while working in
California in the late '70s. He worked for a telephone company and
custom-built computers on the side.
¶   The Los Angeles area had its good points, he said, but there was a
nagging fear of becoming a victim of violent crime. Lines were long, too,
and housing costs kept rising.
¶   Finally, in 1983, the Fergusons decided to move to Manchester. Vernon

still had plenty of family ties. Pat, an Oregon native who grew up in
good-size towns, was nevertheless eager to taste life in rural South
Dakota.
¶   "I was the one who wanted to move back here," she said, though the
idea
also had plenty of appeal to her husband.
¶   It was in Manchester that the couple went into the computer business
full time. Vernon had built a talking computer in 1979 so his wife could
help out with their work of producing labels for commercial and private
use. Pat ties their current work back to those roots.
¶   "In the late '70s and early '80s, there weren't that many
manufacturers
of adaptive equipment for computers," she said. "We were not really into
that at that time, but that is something we wanted to do. ... Our goal was
to help blind people succeed."
¶   Today, Vernon does the programming and Pat handles customer orders
and
other phone and Internet duties. Their business is connected to their home,

so they don't have to worry about commuting during South Dakota winters.
¶   Computer gizmos and gadgets are not the only products they handle.
¶   For those of the low-tech persuasion, they also have a room stocked
with lawn and garden equipment and parts. People come from as far as Huron
and Howard, both about a half-hour away, for Vernon's lawn mower expertise.
¶   Vernon noted the seasonal quality of the couple's work. Warm weather
keeps things hopping on the lawn-and-garden side.
¶   "When the snow flies, things pick up fast," he said of the software
business. "Everybody gets inside and starts playing with computers."