VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 10:48:20 -0600
On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Steve Zielinski wrote:

Notice how, despite all the
> mathematical ingenuity applied by a traveler without a signaling
> device, his safety under this circumstance was impaired. Despite the
> mathematical wizzardry, he still would not know for sure that the
> light had changed.

I also noticed how his so-called impairment was actually speculation by
Donna Sauburger, the author of the article who is a member of the
Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of Blind and Visually
Handicapped.  Tom Bickford was not observed to be in any danger and he was
able to cross the intersection without incident.  It should be pointed out
that Tom bickford is a highly competent blind traveler and a blind travel
teacher.  Donna Sauerburger and her organization oppose public funding of
travel instruction by blind persons, saying only sighted people are
competent enough to be travel teachers.  Because of the poor quality of
travel instruction that exists today, AER has to be highly critical of Tom
Bickford and the alternative to the status quo that he represents, as he
can be perceived as a threat to the professional orientation and mobility
instructor.  Donna Sauerburger only identified the deficiencies of Tom
Bickford not his capacities.  To the professional, blind people are a
collection of problems not people with ability.

Every technology has its benefits and limitations.  Donna Sauerburger of
AER focused on the benefits of audible traffic signals, ignored analyzing
any limitations, and attacked the non-technology alternative.  When we
consider application of audible traffic signals in our communities, it is
important to consider all alternatives and the limitations of the signals
themselves and consider the interests of those involved in developing
policy.

kelly