VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2019 10:10:44 -0400
Harry:

Just a thought...  When you can, try opening your DOS files with either of these 10 word processors.  I understand that they are supposed to work with word files; but, one/more may also work with DOS files.  You never know!

Another thought...  Have you tried to open these DOS files from the DOS prompt, using the proper DOS command?  My guess is that either, the file would be opened, or, you would be asked to assign an app with which to open such files.  You could experiment until you find one that works.

Also, you might try saving your DOS files as "image" files, and then open them in Acrobat Reader to have the OCR process applied.  If Acrobat does not do the trick, JAWS Instant-OCR might do it.

My thoughts runneth over! ...  I wonder if you could do an internet search for apps that would open DOS files.  There may even be a website which could open DOS files for you, assuming that you trust such sites.

I am sure that other listers will have other, possibly better suggestions, and/or helpful advice re my above comments.  There must be apps which will open DOS files.  Please let us know what works for your situation.  I just might need a similar solution some day.

Thanks.

Jim H