VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Terri Hedgpeth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terri Hedgpeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:26:56 -0700
Hello Harry,
Bill and Lynn are correct. Even if you added free training on all this
equipment you propose to give all people who are blind and visually
impaired, the majority would still not be able to or would want to use
all that just to read a book. Also who is going to maintain all this
equipment?

I personally have trained some elderly individuals on how to use the old
4-track NLS players, and I feel that these players are unnecessarily to
complicated. It's a real challenge for some to learn, particularly those
with declining cognitive abilities.

Next, a large number of NLS patrons are not blind or visually impaired,
they have other print disabilities that prevent or limit their ability
to access print books, such as severe arthuritis, CP, Quadriplegia, just
to name a few.

Best
Terri

Dr. Terri Hedgpeth