VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lainey Feingold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lainey Feingold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:10:37 -0700
In many states across the country, voting Third Party in this election, as
was suggested by someone on this list, means voting for 4 more years of
George W. Bush.

The following message was written by long-time disability rights lawyer and
activist, Steve Gold.  As a lawyer who has exclusively represented the
disability community generally, and the blind community in particular, for
the past 12 years, I agree with this message wholeheartedly.   In case this
message is not read in its entirety, here is Steve Gold's ending first:

"The bottom line - a vote for Bush puts the ADA in serious jeopardy."

To this important message, I would add the following:  Even if you are a
person who never intends to file an ADA lawsuit, and even if you're a
person who does not believe in ADA lawsuits, another four years of a
republican administration pose extremely serious risks for the blind
community.  Unfair judges on every level can rollback progress for everyone
-- not just parties to the lawsuit (In the next four years for example, it
is quite likely that the courts will consider whether public and private
websites have to be accessible.) Federal agency appointments effect the
blind community as well:  The Department of Justice will be issuing new ADA
regulations, including Talking ATM regulations; the Federal Communications
Commission has important authority over the accessibility of
telecommunications equipment, and the list goes on.  Other federal programs
and issues of importance to various segments of the blind community are at
deep risk should there be another four years of a Republican
administration: Medicare, Medicaid, special education, stem cell research,
jobs programs, prescription drug costs. . . again, the list goes on.

Here is Steve Gold's message

Lainey Feingold
Law Office of Elaine B. Feingold
1524 Scenic Avenue