VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 18:00:23 -0500
this must be a sign of the times or a startling example of the digital
divide.  The BBC has stopped shortwave broadcasts to the United States,
Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.  Now instead of tuning in 24 hours a
day, you must adjust your life to the FM broadcast schedule in your area,
if there is an FM broadcast.  The other option is to buy a two to three
thousand dollar radio, ah, er, computer.  <grin>  Below is the letter the
director of the BBC wrote to listeners.

Kelly

A Message from Mark Byford, Director, BBC World Service

Changes in Receiving BBC World Service in English

From 1 July 2001, the World Service will be focusing its delivery in
English to North America, Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands
on its numerous
re-broadcasting partnerships on FM and MW, together with 24 hour online
audio output.

Adjusting to New Needs
line
This decision has been made in response to the real revolution in the way
people in developed markets access their media. We know that our
listeners have
migrated away from shortwave and are now accessing us on FM, via the
internet and also in some areas on satellite, cable and on mobile
devices.

In the US twice as many people listen to us on FM as on shortwave and one
and a half million users access online each month.

To meet the continuing demand for improvements in audibility from
listeners around the world the BBC must explore the newest technologies.
The money saved
by closing short wave transmission to North America will go towards
funding this investment in the future.

How to Hear Us
line
You can hear World Service online. The programmes are of good sound
quality and you can listen to programmes on demand as well as streamed
live. The site
also gives additional background information to programmes, as well as
our different language programmes.

You can also listen to us through our many of our re-broadcasting
partnerships on FM and MW.

The BBC World Service is still deeply committed to shortwave.

We are currently investing large amounts of money on upgrading the
shortwave facilities covering the Middle East, The Gulf and Asia as in
these areas the
majority of our audiences still use shortwave as a primary way of
accessing our programmes.

You should still be able to hear your favourite programmes, but if you
are having problems do not hesitate to call our special information line
for help
on how to hear us on : +44 207 557 1270

Committed to the Future
line
We are committed at the World Service to harnessing new distribution
partnerships to provide our listeners with the programmes they want, when
they want.
The changes to our transmission services reflect our commitment to our
role in a rapidly changing modern media world.