VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MARILYN LUTTER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MARILYN LUTTER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:28:58 -0500
I have a few problems with this article.  I do not currently use either an
Iphone or any similar device.  Maybe a braille app. would be useful to those
of us who have used braille all our lives, I doubt that sighted people would
take the time to learn braille considering that they have not adopted
auditory systems.  It seems to me like learning braille would take more
effort on a sighted person's part than learning to listen.  Additionally,
this article seems to me to suggest that a sighted person could quickly
learn and use braille.  Additionally, we already have a lot of sighted
people who do dangerous things like driving a car and texting at the same
time.  Not having to look at the screen doesn't mean the whole thing would
be automatic and require no concentration.  It seems to me that a sighted
person, would need to think about what is being written, and which dots to
activate in the braille would take his or her ability to concentrate on
driving safely.  There is more to using braille than being able to feel it.

Marilyn Lutter