VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Pasco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Pasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:27:32 -0700
You don’t have to find exactly what you want in a store. All the laptop
companies allow you to contact them directly and configure the machine as
you want it. For instance, the last one I ordered, which was a Dell, I
called dell and spoke with the sales technician who asked me all the
questions, and allowed me to configure the thing just as I wish. You can
also do this on-line though that can get pretty tedious.

In my experience, HP is to be avoided. Their tech support is the worst, and
as another person on here mentioned, I’ve seen lots of problems making them
work with peripherals. Finding a simple USB port with a thumb drive can
make you want to throw the thing out. Plus, HP always comes with tons of
adware and trial software which bogs the thing down and creates lots of
conflicts with adaptive software.

Lenovo is a very solid choice, as is Acer. Both have good tech support,.
I’ve never owned a Lenovo, but I have an Acer and it’s my favorite machine
of all time.

So, figure out your features, type of processor, amount of ram, screen
size, hard drive size and type, then call two different companies and have
them configure it for you. That will give you a price comparison. If you
know what you have to spend in advance, that makes it easier.

I agree with others that I5 is just fine, I7 is better but not essential
unless you are a power user. I3 may be a bit underpowered.  Solid State
hard drives are terrific, and fast, but expensive for the size. So, that
can be a place3 you can cut costs if you need to. Regular hard drives these
days are very big, very fast, and will suit most people. Do not scrimp on
the amount of RAM. Ram is cheap, so get at least 4 gigs, and 6 or 8 gigs is
better.

Be careful, some laptops do not come with an optical drive nowadays. So, if
you have a need for running CDs or DVDs, you either need to make sure you
have an optical drive in the machine, or plan to purchase an outboard drive.

Beyond these things, most modern machines have everything else you’d want
including USB ports, audio ports, card readers, Wi Fi, and Bluetooth
standard.

Good Luck.

Bill