VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:23:07 -0500
Jim Clark,  one of the early backers of Netscape communications walked
away with a billion dollars when the company was sold to America Online.
It is interesting to point out that the multi-billion dollar company Aol
Time Warner is relying on volunteer unpaid labor to develop access.
Well, at least they are working on this.

Kelly

http://home.netscape.com/browsers/6/index61pr.html?cp=briinf

>Accessibility is now an important push at Netscape. Many of the
>accessibility features have not been fully implemented. For example, we
do
>not yet support the MSAA API, needed by screen readers, for the entire
>user interface. If you're interested in our development efforts, see

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ui/accessibility.
There are articles about
>our work there, and you can find pointers to our accessibility mailing
>list in the Keyboard UI Design FAQ.
>
>We have been working on several fronts, especially:
>- Keyboard accessibility - this benefits everyone
>- MSAA support, so that we can work with screen readers, voice dictation
>packages and other 3rd party accessibility solutions in Windows
>- Appearances preferences, such as font size, zooming and colors
>
>Because we're an open source project, we're always interested in
whatever
>feedback or input people want to give us, especially in the area of
>accessibility. If Netscape accessibility is important to you, don't be
>shy. There are many volunteers working on the code base, filing and
>triaging bugs, testing and writing documentation. At some point, we need
>volunteers to help test Netscape with all the accessibility aids
>availbable on the market. Don't worry, we're not relying on volunteers,
>but the nature of open source means that we do not turn away qualified
>individuals who wish to make their mark on our product. If you don't
like
>something about the way other browsers solve the problems of
>accessibility, here is your chance to help make a browser that does what
>you like.
>
>While I would not currently recommend Netscape to any of my friends with
>disabilities, I would tell them to look forward to full accessibility in
>some upcoming version, and that accessibility is being escalated as a
high
>priority item. I would ask web designers merely to adhere to the W3C
>standards - that alone will keep their pages from being unusable in
>Netscape, and I guarantee they will always have visitors that prefer
Netscape.