VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 03:23:27 -0400
On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Peter Seymour wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Scranton Computer Shop wrote:
>
> > >From the Vocal Eyes manual:
> >
> > 9.   Format Alert: sets the method for indicating indented text
> >
> > also:
> >
> > When blank lines is set to "Say Blank," Vocal-Eyes says "blank"
> > at every occurrence of a blank line.
>
> As I wrote, when I am reading automatically with the Alt R, or with
> Internet screens, I do not hear the word blank, even though the program is
> set to say blank. It appears to work only with manual manipulition of the
> cursor.
>
> Is this the same for everybody else, and how can it be remedied.

An addition to my above message. Sometimes I make a change on Vocal Eyes,
after pressing Control back slash, but that change doesn't hold. If I
give the new configuration a name, it will stay active, but a change that
isn't stored sometimes doesn't hold. That is what happened when I reported
the above. I have since had Vocal Eyes say "Blank" when it passes over a
blank line after the Alt R command.

It is too bad that Vocal Eyes can't be detailed in greater detail. An
option for a clicking sound to indicate a blank line, for instance,
instead of only the option to hear the word blank, would have been nice.

Also, instead of a few choices of different groups of punctuations that
can be pronounced, the user should be able to designate the exact list of
punctuations to pronounce. For instance, in order to turn off the dash, I
have to turn off the parentheses. In order to hear the brackets, I have to
turn on the period. These groupings are arbitrary and force the user to
make compromises, when a "make your own grouping" option could have been
included.