VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Donahue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 20:27:19 -0500
Hello listers,

        This evening we received a message via our Amvox voicemail system
alerting us to a telephone scam which is believed to be orriginating from
various jails and prisons around the country.  a person will call you
telling you that they are an AT&T Sercice and Repair Technician.  they say
that thay are testing your phone lines and that they need you to press 9 0
and the pound sign to allow them to complete the test. If you do this you
are giving them unlimitted use of your telephone line and they can then
charge cals to your phone number.  If you should receive such a call do not
press 9, 0, and pound as this will allow them to charge calls to your
number.  Rather you should report the receit of such calls to your long
distance phone carrier.   this will assist them in apprehending those
involved in this scam.  Again I received this information as a business
communication and thought it important enough to share it with you all.
take care, don't press 9, 0, pound, if asked to do so from an annonymous
caller saying they're anAT&T repair technician, and have a great weekend.

The power of the dream
The faith in things unseen
The courage to embrace your fear
No matter where you are