VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:04:07 -0600
On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Kelly Ford wrote:

> Do you have any other info about the bill payment from Fidelity?  I have
> an account with them but the only bill payment I know about from them
> costs $4.95 a month.

Sorry I could have been more clear.  bill pay from fidelity is available
only to those with brokerage accounts, so if someone has a fidelity mutual
fund only that does not enable one to use bill pay.  the minimum amount
needed to open a fidelity account is $5,000.  However, customers at this
level incur some fees and don't qualify for many services, unless one
pays additional fees.  Accounts of $30,000 or more qualify for the *free*
bill pay service and have fees waived for some other services and account
maintenance as well.  The fee is $4.95 for accounts under $30,000.  Fore
more information, select the bill pay link from the extremely long
menu on the Fidelity site.  the entire customer agreement is on that page
in nicely formatted html.

I found setting up payees to be kind of a pain.  I am a new Windows user
and the combination of many frames and form layout to be really
tricky.  Once I have more experience and knowledge with windows, I will
look more closely to see if the setting up payees section meets w3c web
access standards.  Once the payee was entered, I found the process of
scheduling a payment simple and easy and highly accessible.

I have been wondering about one particular aspect about the Fidelity bill
pay service.  The company makes it possible to receive your bills.  When
they receive the bill, they will scan it and put it on the web for you to
view.  Once it is online, fidelity will send an e-mail to you letting you
know that the bill is online.  The user can look at the bill from his
computer and with a press of a few keys, pay the entire amount
automatically through Fidelity bill pay.

I wonder how such a service would be accessible to us.  the only way I can
think of is to have someone type in the contents of the printed bill so we
could view it in an accessible way.  the only provision of the w3c web
access guidelines that I think would apply would be the part in Priority
two that requires w3c approved technologies to be used when designing web
pages.  I'm curious as to your thoughts about this.

kelly