VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:33:51 EDT
Hello, everyone:
A colleague I serve with on the Pontiac (MI) Library Advisory Commission
mentioned this article to me that appears in the August 03 Smithsonian magazine.
Astronomer Noreen Grice has really created quite a breakthrough book for the
blind.  The history of how it all came about is a fascinating read.

 <A HREF="http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian/issues03/aug03/peoplefile.html">Click here: People File - To Touch the Heavens</A>
If the above link does not work for you, try this:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian/issues03/aug03/peoplefile.html

You might also want to take a look at the link at the bottom of the article
that describes the volunteer work of the man who records Smithsonian's contents
for the blind.

Those of us who are affiliated with libraries for the blind can only praise
the unbelievable volume of quality offerings made available to blind patrons.
As a former science teacher, I marvel at how the technology has now 'morphed'
to books like Grimes' "To Touch the Heavens."

Enjoy!

Sheila
Sheila R. Ashcraft, eBlind! Outreach Coordinator
PO Box 430209, Pontiac, MI 48343-0209
(248) 334-4329 Voice (248) 334-2226 Fax
e-Mail Address:  [log in to unmask]
(If this e-mail requires a response, please do so promptly.  Thanks.)