Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 18:54:33 -0600
At 01:36 PM 6/4/99 , you wrote:
>Hi all, my name is Anwar Alshingiti, this is my first post here,
>
>I hope this question is in the appropriate list, if not apologies in
>advance,
>During my on-line sessions , and when I am at idle , doing nothing , my
>modem shows a large volume od download for extende periods of time, seems
>like I was beeing hacked into ,
>Is there any software that'll allow me to see where all that data is going ?
>I tried the "Find" function in Win95 to see all modified files , but didn't
>really help.
>Any help would be appreciated.

If you are describing the phenomenia of watching the DUN icon in the system
tray flash as if data is downloading to your system or uploading, while you
have no applications open...   I have seen this before.

I reported it to Microsoft at the time, last fall.   I never heard back from them
about it.  It happened using WIndows98.   I checked and double checked to
find anything that might be open to allow a socket to the Internet.  There was
no application open, no data was actually moving up or down...  but, the
DUN application continued to report data streaming up and down when it
was connected.   Finally, I formatted the hard drive and reloaded Windows98
on the system.  The problem disappeared and the owner of the computer
reports that it never occurred again.

I am certain that no data was moving either up or down, as I contacted
the ISP and they monitored the DUN connection...  they saw the connect
and did not find any data streaming...  but, that DUN icon just kept on
chugging along as if data was moving.

I am sorry I have no simple answer for you on this issue, only my personal
observation.   My cure to the problem was much like squashing ants with
a baseball bat, but it did work.

                Bob Wright
       The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org