From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 12:42:36 -0800
On 26 May 98 at 20:59, Noobt wrote:

> Why do hardisk fails?
> I would be grateful to receive a list of possible reasons from various tech
> personnel or even users...

Failures I have seen:

- crashed due to static electricity
  Revived by re-format; probably just lost data in write buffer/RAM,
  and trashed disk as a result.
  Make sure machine has proper 3-wire connection to ground.

- died due to prolonged operation at high temperature
  Some drives run very hot, especially if they represent a first
  generation at a new rotation speed.  Thermal expansion may make
  bearings fit tighter than normal, and evaporate lubricant.
  Install extra cooling ("Bay Coollers") if running drive is too hot
  to hold.

- died due to short circuit
  Avoid contact between conductive items and "circuit board" side of
  drive.

- died due to physical shock
  Rarely a primary cause.  In the case I'm aware of, drives which,
  according to competitive statistics, would have failed in customer
  hands, failed instead at the dealer when subjected to an 18" drop.
  Drives which survived that drop proved much more reliable than
  average in customer use.

- died due to idleness
  Congealed lubricant, especially if it's got dirt in it, around
  bearings can cause more friction than the drive motor can overcome.

David G