From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 23:02:42 -0500
I have an SMC Barricade 7004 router/switchbox with two computers connected. When I shut down on Tuesday night both computers could get e-mail and get on the Internet on AT&T's replacement for [log in to unmask] On Wednesday morning at startup computer two could not get e-mail or get on the Internet.  "Server could not be found". Computer 1 had no problems. Both computers could see each other and trade files.  The network printer worked fine. Computer 2 could not ping the router or open its config screen. Computer 1 opened the config screen.  What I saw is that only one computer is showing up as connected, and the IP address for that one is computer 2 which cannot ping or get on the internet.  Computer 1, which is working fine is not shown.  I am mystified as to what could have happened while both computers were asleep over night that computer 2 has its IP address listed on the router but does not work, and computer 1 does not have its IP address listed on the router, but does work.  And why can both computers see each other and share files and printers when one computer is not even shown as being connected?  I have checked the settings on both, and nothing has been changed.  Computer 2 is Win 98 SE and Computer 1 is Win Me.  Again, on Tuesday night everything worked when I shut the system down.
--

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com