From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 10:53:13 -0800
I agree with Bobs analogy as far as buying or building a new PC is
concerned.....if you are starting from scratch you might as well get a P II
.....but I also think that most people do not need the power of a P II on a
typical single user desktop business or personal computer and a inexpensive
socket seven motherboard / CPU upgrade for 100 to 200 hundred dollars makes
a lot of sense. You certainly don't need a P II for business applications
or Internet access or the vast majority of the applications that have come
out in the 20 months since the P II premiered.

 Winstone 98 benchmarks are now measuring how fast the CPU is waiting for
the user to do something.  If you do desktop or web publishing on a
professional level.....or you are a graphics or design professional and
routinely work with 100 meg plus files ....or you are a data base
developer.....or a scientist running complex calculations that run for
hours or days...then you want the fastest P II you can afford but for 99
per cent of the personal or business desktop users the only reason they
might actually <need> a P II is to run the hottest games.

This has the CPU manufacturers worried because business is not doing what
they have always done......upgrade their PCs in the thousands because it
produced a productivity increase and was in the end a cost cutting move. A
Pentium Classic 133 runs Office 97 just fine and with a P 200 MMX it flies
thank you very much. I realize that MS and others are writing huge hard
drive filling CPU crunching applications and suites but that doesn't mean
people need them and business managers won't upgrade to them unless it can
be proven that beyond all the promotional hype they will in fact be a cost
cutter.

------

                                  -----