From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:44:35 -0400
Susan,

I think you may be losing sight of the trees because of the forest.

What extra precautions do these folks take for their television when they
are gone?  How about the microwave oven?  Any clock-radios in the house?
How about the digital clock in the stove/oven? CD/stereo system?
Telephones?  My point is that these are all electronic devices too and
I'll bet that they survive just fine without being packed up in sealed
containers loaded with desiccant.

I believe that new equipment is packed with the desiccant to protect it
during shipment.  Many Asian manufacturers ship via cargo freighter -- a
VERY humid and somewhat caustic environment due to the salinity as well as
moisture in the air.  And airplanes subject the cargo to rapid temperature
and humidity changes.  But for a device left in a house - even in
Louisianna - I don't think it is really that critical for the equipment to
be repackaged and sealed.

Personally, I would just recommend that the power be disconnected and the
equipment covered to keep out dust.  The only caution is for pre-MMX
equipment -- you need to write down the key BIOS settings, in case the
battery dies.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====