From:
Tim Lider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 14:03:38 -0700
Greetingz David,

At 10:01 AM 5/3/98 -0500, you wrote:

>The Western Digital 3.2 gb UDMA drive that I got last Dec. with my
>little P5 system is failing. WD sez a replacement is on the way.
>The system fails to boot about 70% of the time. Ragamuffin Vagabond
>Gypsys such as myself, of course, never ever maintain backups.

  Well I think this is a good time to start do you not think so? :)  I
myself think backups are essential to life in computers. Nice coming from a
data recovery engineer, eh?

>I'm running NTWS 4.0 SP3 and I've got lots of important software
>and data that I need to recover. The existing drive has 3 NTFS
>partitions. I'd like to have only 1 on the replacement drive (also
>NTFS).

  Well there are many software that promise you that it can get it. Do not
belive it!  There is no software out in the retail market that can do it
all.  To retrieve the data will have to be swift and exact. Try to copy all
of the data once you are able to get the hard drive boot again.

>A first-level techie at WD said their EZ-Drive program would work.
>Anybody used it for this kind of thing? XCOPY with certain
>switch settings would also work? Other suggestions are welcome.

  EZ-Drive is not a copy program it is a program that overlay's hard drives
to make them work in systems that can not see larger hard drives over 2GB,
or systems that can not LBA drives.

  Programs that Image or copy data from the hard drive that you might need
are:

Ghost
Drive Image
NTFS DOS, if unable to get into NT

  Sorry, this is all I can help you out with.  Good luck, I hope it works
out.  If not look at my signature and e-mail me private and/or look at the
web site.

Regards,

Tim Lider
Advanced Data Solutions              ICQ: 7562541
Web Site: http://www.adv-data.com E-Mail: Mailto:[log in to unmask]