From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:08:06 -0400
Some chips are rated at only one speed, others are rated at 2 or 3 speeds.  At one time, many pc133 chips would work as pc100, now they seem to be only 100 or only 133.  Same for pc2100/2700/3200.  Some will work at all 3 speeds, some at 2700/3200, some at 2100/2700, some at only one speed.  Also, if the memory is compatible (mutispeed), it will run at the slowest speed of whatever other ram is installed.  If you can identify the manufacturer of the chip, you can try searching the web for its specs.  There are also other specs that vary among manufacturers.  For best results, the chips should have similar specs, if possible.  Try checking an aftermarket chip co. to see what they have available for each of the laptops.  If they have different part numbers to add say, 128 or 256 mb to each, then you're not going to get good results by swapping.
Paul Hachmeyer