From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:05:31 -0400
I'm adding a second flat panel monitor to my aged (5 year old) gateway
E4100 tower, 1 gb ram, winxp pro sp2 intel P4 2.8 ghz cpu.   Onboard
video is feeding current flat panel, I need to add a video card for the
second panel.  PC is used for business only - coding, email,
spreadsheets, etc., no games, no photo work.
Motherboard has 3 free pci slots and 1 free agp slot.  Can't find any
specs saying what the onboard video is other than intel extreme graphics
2 controller, universal .8v/1.5v AGP 3.0 connector supporting 1x, 4x,
and 8x AGP cards or an ADD card.  Gateway was sold out to Micron
Computers apparently last year, they no longer have any specs on their
sites.
Would I be better off adding a dual output video card or single output
video card?  AGP or PCI?  I'm just looking to have both panels with a
similar response rate and clarity - both are 1280x1024 17" panels.
The office purchased one e-geforce FX5200 single output pci card, 128
mb,  DVI cable output with adapters for standard output, if desired.
Sounds like overkill.   Better off with maybe a 16mb video card?   I
don't want to bog down the pc with a single high power video card.
Paul Hachmeyer

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com