From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 15:27:31 -0400
I am trying to add 256 MB of memory to the existing 128 MB.
The 128 MB dimm was purchased when the system was assemble;
the 256 MB dimm was just purchased now.  W2k fails to boot
when the new memory card is in.

The system is an abit-ka7 athlon system running w2k.  It has
been running stabily for some time.

The abit board has four dimm slots (dimm1 -- dimm4).  The 128 MB
dimm is currently in dimm1.

I have tried two things:

I added the 256 MB dimm to slot dimm2, and separately, I placed
the 256 MB dimm by itself in slot dimm1 (removing the 128 MB
dimm).

In both cases I get the following error.  The expected amount of
memory is found, and passes the POST (both the quick and the
full).  W2k starts to boot.  It runs until just after the black screen
with the white-on-black character-based progress bar.  As soon
as the screen cuts over to the graphical start-up screen it stops
with (I'm writing from memory):

        stop00050
        page fault in non-paged area.

The system is a 700 MHz athlon over-clocked to 950 MHz.  I tried
not over-clocking it.  Also, according to the abit soft-menu, I can
change the speed of the memory clock.  There are three choices:

host CLK + PCI CLK      (133 MHz)
host CLK                                (100 MHz)
host CLK = PCI CLK      (67 MHz

I tried all three settings with the same result.

Both memory cards are PNY PC133 168-pin SDRAM.

I'm assuming that the new memory card is bad, and am
planning to exchange it, but I would like to double-check
whether I am missing something.

Anything else I should be looking into?

Thanks for any advice.

     Frank R.Brown