From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:03:18 -0400
Still having problems...  still looking for help...

I exchanged the 256 MB dimm for the same kind from PNY.

I have exactly the same problem.  The old 128 MB works,
the 256 MB dimm works neither alone nor in combination
with the 128 MB dimm.

The failure is always the same.  POST succeeds; w2k blue-screens
immediately after the screen switches from character-cell to
graphics mode.

A little more information:

The machine has a creative nvidia geforce 2 video card.
Why does it always fail right when the video card goes to
graphics mode?  I'm pretty sure I tried disabling video
bios shadowing.  Maybe the video card causes a voltage
dip when it kicks in.

Also, the new 256 MB dimm worked in another machine.
I believe (not certain) that the second machine was set for
pc133 memory.   I don't know what the motherboard was.

Some people say that the motherboard just might not like
that brand of memory.  Would anybody have suggestions
for a brand of memory that the abit-ka7 might like better?

Thanks.

I wrote:

> I am trying to add 256 MB of memory to the existing 128 MB.
> The 128 MB dimm was purchased when the system was assembled;
> the 256 MB dimm was just purchased now.  W2k fails to boot
> when the new memory card is in.
>
> The system is an abit-ka7 athlon system running w2k.  It has
> been running stabily for some time.
>
> The abit board has four dimm slots (dimm1 -- dimm4).  The 128 MB
> dimm is currently in dimm1.
>
> I have tried two things:
>
> I added the 256 MB dimm to slot dimm2, and separately, I placed
> the 256 MB dimm by itself in slot dimm1 (removing the 128 MB
> dimm).
>
> In both cases I get the following error.  The expected amount of
> memory is found, and passes the POST (both the quick and the
> full).  W2k starts to boot.  It runs until just after the black screen
> with the white-on-black character-based progress bar.  As soon
> as the screen cuts over to the graphical start-up screen it stops
> with (I'm writing from memory):
>
>         stop00050
>         page fault in non-paged area.
>
> The system is a 700 MHz athlon over-clocked to 950 MHz.  I tried
> not over-clocking it.  Also, according to the abit soft-menu, I can
> change the speed of the memory clock.  There are three choices:
>
> host CLK + PCI CLK      (133 MHz)
> host CLK                       (100 MHz)
> host CLK = PCI CLK      (67 MHz
>
> I tried all three settings with the same result.
>
> Both memory cards are PNY PC133 168-pin SDRAM.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>