From:
Robert Citkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:44:20 -0500
Thanks, Mark!

Now, since I need to get a USB hub to clear the one I'm now using for the cable modem (I need ports for other devices) should I use one of them for the cable, or add a PCMCIA NIC card for the modem? Does a hub slow down the modem transmission?

Rob
< While a USB port may be faster,  it is a meaningless fact, in light of the
tiny bit of bandwidth a cable modem requires. Any old ISA 10bps NIC would
work just as well.
Until I started using a router as my NAT, ... I used an old 486 with a just
such NICs as my NAT. I was able download and upload at speeds in excess of
3 megabytes per minute. Personally I would use a NIC and save my USB port
for something else.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group >

<< you wrote:
>I just installed a cable modem, which is great so far. The cable tech who
>came used the USB port, stating that it's faster than using a PCMCIA card
>in my notebook. Was he right? Any differences other than speed?
>When I get a new desktop, he said to use the USB port vs the built-in NIC
>port. Right again?
>Rob >>

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml