From:
Chris Blom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:26:38 -0800
Jim Meagher wrote:

> Can you be a little more specific about
> "... the system does not... recognize it's existence..."
> Do you mean the PC does not "see" the port or the PC does not "see" the
> camera?

The PC does not seem to be aware that the port exists.

> When you use the camera software to "hook up" to the camera and download
> the pix, what is the error message that you get?

"Unable to communicate with camera", from the camera software on the PC.  I
know it's a port problem, because when I hook the camera up to my at-work PC
which uses a PS mouse and has a 9-pin serial port (COM1) free, everything
works fine.

> Have you checked your CMOS settings to make sure COMM 2 is turned on?

No;  a) I don't know how to do it, and b) I am spooked as hell about
fiddling with CMOS after I changed it by accident one time and lost my hard
drive.
However, when I do the "add new equipment" bit, Windows scans for modems on
all 4 COMs.  Does that possibly mean it does indeed have COM2 turned on?

Incidentally, the camera manufacturer's suggestion about how to deal with
the no-free-9pinserial problem is to disconnect the mouse, connect the
camera, and bring up Windows with no mouse!!!  I ask you!!  The ultimate in
user-hostile.

           thanks for your help,
               Chris