Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 21:41:04 +0300
On 16 Jul 99, at 10:08, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I have to dissagree with your choice of processor. The new
> (non-300) Celeron has a cache and is comparable or better than the
> K6-2 with the same clock. A bigger issue is the use of the
> processor for research simulations, AMD's floating point
> implementations are significantly slower than Intel's.

I'm not sure that floating point is much needed in such simulations, as I
have AMDK6 166MHz, and I also run similar simulations, and I know it
gives better results than the Pentium 166MMX, although its floating
point calcs is less good.

> Celeron's use Socket 370, not Slot 1. Many motherboard
> manufacturers include a Socket 370 adapter card with their Slot 1
> boards. THe K6-2 uses the Super-7 socket, and it is upwardly
> mobile to the K6-3 but that is the end of the line.

I understood that you can suit such an adapter to any slot 1
motherboard.

But ok, than perhaps I shall go with a Celeron, any recommendations
for a cheap motherboard which is still reasonable. Most of the stores
here sell something by PC-Partners which is less than half price of the
ASUS P2B (which I know that it is excellent), another seller told me
about something called BX-Free-Teac-PII. In most of the reviews, I can
see reviews of only the more expensive motherboards, while all those
that I mentioned are much cheaper and still use the 440BX chipset.

Anyone cqan recommend anything?

Thanks,
Uzi

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: