Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:05:33 EDT

In a message dated 8/8/2007 8:59:09 PM Atlantic Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Can you let me have some info on 'BitebyBite' please as I am interested  in
cleaning off my drives before getting rid of  them

Geoff,

 Here is a short discription found at
_http://www.sofotex.com/BiteByBite-download_L24729.html_ (http://www.sofotex.com/BiteByBite-download_L24729.html)

BiteByBite is a freeware utility that deletes files securely. Sensitive  data
is overwritten between 1 and 100 times (according to your selection), to
make sure your computer is clean and evidence free. It will delete binary or
text files from all FAT and NTFS disk formats. BiteByBite is extremely fast  even
when overwriting the file 100 times

A couple of personal disclaimers:
 1)   I don't recall where I downloaded it a couple of  years ago but I'm
pretty sure it was'nt this site so I can't verify how  reliable or safe they are.

2) I haven't tried any lost file retrieval  programs to see if it is as
effective as it claims

     That being said, it is easy to use but deleting  about 1gig of files
took about an hour. So, if your
     doing a whole drive, be prepared to walk away and  forget it for quite a
while. You might (or might not)
     be better off with "Killdisk"  _http://www.killdisk.com/_
(http://www.killdisk.com/)    which  you run from a floppy at boot-up (I have this
     but, as yet, haven't tried it).

    If you decide to try BiteByBite, be advised that all  files you're
attempting to delete must NOT be set to
    "read only" this will give you a error message and close the  application
so probably Killdisk would be
    more eficient for doing a whole drive. But I  repeat, I have NOT actually
tried it. Perhaps someone else on
    the list has.

    Good Luck,
    -Phil-