Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:18:50 EST
Hey Y'all!
 In my attempt to get a rebuild going for a friend to connect to the
internet, I have been using parts from 3 compaq computers. I aquired a new  unopened
official win 98 SE disc and loaded it to my first build which was the  newer
of the 3 machines (model 5bw251) which is 6 years old, with the WD 15 gig  HD
from one of the others.

The loading process went without a hitch and windows started up fine.
However, the graphics settings only had a max of 16 colors available and the  modem
was not found. So I transfered the HD to the next oldest machine (5bw120)  and
did a fresh re-install of the os. Just as windows was starting, it  would
re-boot and upon inspection I found a few capacitors had "domed" tops with  a bit
of rust so I gave up on that one and moved HD to the oldest one (unknown
model#). Once again after fresh install, same problems with graphics and  modem.

 I went to DriverGuide.com and downloaded their hardware/driver  checker but
when I tried to use it I got an error message saying It was either  corrupted
during download or was the wrong "version". I pulled up compaq driver  page
and the drivers listed for the newest machine was the same as the one  already
loaded.

 I started out computing on Win ME and went directly to XP so I'm  mostly
unfamiliar with 98. So I ask, surely it's capable of more than 16  colors?! And
can you give me any clues why neither machines modems could  be found even
though in control panel/modem, it says device is working  properly? ( I was
attempting set-up with AOL ver.4.0 which came on the 98SE  disc)

 If it matters, I'm using a Sony SDM-S73 lcd monitor.

 Feels like I'm fightin' a losing battle!!!

   -PHIL-

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml